All the requirements that are observed in regular prayers should be observed here (i.e. ablution, facing Qibla, etc.)
The Janazah (funeral prayer) has six essentials:
- Intention to pray the Janazah prayer lies in the heart.
- Standing up for prayer for those who are capable of doing so.
- After the first Takbeerah recite surat (Al-Fatiha) silently.
- After the second Takbeerah, saying a prayer for prophet Muhammad (S.A.W.).
- After the third Takbeerah supplicating to Allah (S.W.T.) for the deceased.
- After the fourth Takbeerah, make “Tasleem” saying: “Assalamu Alaikum Warahmatullah” and turning your head to the right. It is optional to add another Tasleem to the left side.