The Islamic Association of Raleigh owns and manages the Muslim Cemetery located in Wendell North Carolina approximately 25 miles to the north east of the Islamic Center of Raleigh. The street address for the cemetery is Hankinson Rd Wendell, NC 27591, it is located off Edgemont Road in Wendell.
In Case of Death: Here are some steps you need to take in case of a death in the family
General Procedures: Overall Rules & Procedures about burials in the IAR Cemetery
Directions to the Muslim Cemetery: How to get from the Masjid to the Muslim Cemetery
Condolence Gatherings (Azaa’): How to schedule a Azaa’ at IAR
In Case of Death
Steps to take in case of a death in your family
You have to contact the IAR Cemetery Committee in order to perform the Islamic rites of washing the body and burial at the Islamic Center of Raleigh’s cemetery in Wendell NC.
- Choose only one family member or friend to coordinate with the Cemetery Committee. Do not let multiple family members coordinate with the Cemetery Committee
- Do not call any funeral homes
- Call one of the phone numbers below
IAR Cemetery Committee Phone Numbers
The IAR Cemetery Committee is run by dedicated volunteers to help you with Islamic rituals of preparing the deceased for burial and with burial at the Muslim cemetery.
Funeral prayers will be held at the Islamic Center of Raleigh after daily prayers. We try to schedule the prayers after Dhuhr or Jumuah prayers and leave for the cemetery immediately after the prayers.
Please follow these instructions to follow the funeral home van to the IAR Cemetery.
To learn more about Islamic funerals, please read the article written by Imam Baianonie
The IAR Cemetery Committee has the latest list of Funeral homes on contract. Please call the committee for details. Funeral homes charge only an agreed-upon price.
Approximate cost of burial (may change)
|Head Stone (Grave Marker)||$200|
|Transfer of remains to IAR Funeral Home/Wendell Cemetery||$500|
|IAR Janazah Package||$2,250|
|Total costs for burial in the IAR Cemetery||$3,900|
Services provided by the funeral home
- Transfering the janazah from the hospital to the funeral home
- Use of bathing room facilities for washing the janazah
- Preparing the janazah including shrouding with the kafan
- Casket for transporting the janazah
- Use of visiting room
- Funeral van for one day
- All Muslims shall have the right to be buried in the IAR Muslim Cemetery.
- No reservation of the grave site(s) will be permitted. Only the gravesite immediately next to an occupied one, in compliance with the master plan, will be used.
- No structure shall be allowed atop the grave site(s) except for a grave marker with at most the following information on it: the name and dates of birth and death of the deceased.
Directions to the Cemetery
The Muslim cemetery is located in Wendell North Carolina approximately 25 miles to the north east of the Islamic Center of Raleigh. The street address for the cemetery is 6732 Hankinson Rd Wendell, NC 27591, it is located off Edgemont Road in Wendell NC.
How to follow behind the hearse
|1||Line up behind the hearse|
|2||Turn on your headlights|
|3||Turn on your emergency flashers|
|4||Stay together as you follow behind the hearse|
|5||You are permitted to carefully drive through a stop sign or red light while following the hearse|
Join the IAR Janazah Alert Group if you want to be notified of Janazah prayers at the Islamic Center of Raleigh.
There is a consensus among all the great Muslim jurists that a funeral prayer for a deceased person is a collective obligation or fard kifayah. The Prophet, peace be upon him, commanded the Muslims to offer it, and they have been doing so ever since they received this commandment.
Abu Hurairah reported that when the Prophet, peace be upon him, was informed of the death of a person, he used to ask: Does he owe anything to anyone?’ If the answer was in the affirmative, he would then ask: ‘Has he (the deceased) left anything to settle his debt?’ If he had left something to settle his debt, he would offer the funeral prayer for him. Otherwise, he would say to the Muslims: ‘Offer a (funeral) prayer for your brother”‘ (Bukhari and Muslim).