The Masjid Accountant reports to the CEO and is responsible for administering all aspects of the masjid finances and works in partnership with multiple stakeholders. This includes processing all accounts payable, accounts receivable, bank reconciliations, month end financial reports, annual budget development, and other statistical tracking.
Financial Administration – uses accounting skills to provide sound and accurate financial analysis and process management. Understanding confidentiality of all giving records and financial reporting.
- Provide accurate accounting of all financial transactions.
- enter all invoices submitted for payment, cut checks, submit for signature, and prepare for mailing.
- Cash management forecasting and reporting.
- Ensure proper procedural controls are developed and followed.
- Maintain IAR accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions.
- Balance IAR accounts by reconciling entries for all bank accounts on a monthly basis.
- Prepare financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Maintain and update the chart of accounts.
- Prepare and enter the annual budget in the accounting system.
- Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements.
- Maintain historical records by filing documents.
- Prepare 1099s at year-end.
- Prepare financial reports for General Body Meeting annually.
- Work with and support the IAR Treasurer, the Finance Chairperson and the CEO when needed.
- The IAR Accountant also serves as the IAR Treasurer (see appendix A).
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Fundraising and donations– assist the Fundraising Manager in their management of payments, and fundraising campaign administration as directed by the fundraising committee.
- Oversight of cash, check and online giving donations and software platforms.
- Maintain weekly entries of donations, pledge contributions and all other form payments.
- Provide end of year donation statement summaries online and in printed form as requested.
Job skills and requirements:
- A minimum of an associate’s degree in accounting from an accredited educational institution
- 3-5 years previous accounting experience
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills including MS Word, Excel and QuickBooks
- Strong interpersonal and professional skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Provide excellent service to staff, congregants, volunteers and other stake holders.
- Attention to detail and precision in account reconciliation and report generation.
- Accounting and budgeting skills
- Prior use of accounting software packages; online giving and membership software
- General accounting experience
As the Treasurer, you will play a crucial role in managing the financial affairs of the organization. Your primary responsibility will be to oversee and maintain accurate financial records, ensuring transparency and accountability in all financial transactions.
- Financial Management: Maintain and update financial records, including income, expenses, and investments, using appropriate accounting software or tools. Monitor the organization’s financial position and provide regular reports to the Shura and leadership team.
- Budgeting: Collaborate with the leadership team to develop an annual budget and present it to the Shura for approval. Monitor budget implementation and provide periodic updates to the CEO and Shura on financial performance and potential deviations.
- Cash Management: Oversee the collection, recording, and deposit of funds received by the organization. Maintain effective internal controls to safeguard assets and ensure proper cash management practices.
- Financial Reporting: Prepare accurate and timely financial statements, including income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow statements. Present financial reports to the Shura, Board and auditors as required.
- Banking and Investments: Manage the organization’s banking relationships, including opening and closing accounts, reconciling statements, and facilitating fund transfers. Assess and recommend suitable investment opportunities to maximize the organization’s financial resources within the framework of Islamic principles.
- Compliance and Audit: Ensure compliance with relevant financial regulations, laws, and internal policies. Facilitate internal and external audits and provide necessary documentation and information to auditors.
- Financial Planning: Assist in long-term financial planning by providing insights and recommendations based on the organization’s financial performance and goals.
- Serve as a member on the Admin Team.
- Lead on opening the donation box weekly with the team.