The Islamic Association of Raleigh (IAR) is seeking a motivated, trustworthy individual to serve in the role of Administrative Assistant to the Imam’s Office. The position is a paid, part-time position requiring 25 hours per week with the potential for additional hours during peak periods.
The Islamic Association of Raleigh (IAR) is an Islamic center serving as a mosque, school, and a gathering place for the Muslim community in the Research Triangle region of North Carolina. The IAR is one of the oldest mosques in the area and hosts over three thousand congregants every Friday.
The IAR is an active center providing services for people of all backgrounds and all ages across the the capital city of Raleigh and the Research Triangle region.
- To promote and assist the smooth, professional operations of the Office of the Imam and the Islamic Association of Raleigh (IAR)
- To provide administrative and execution support to the Office of the Imam, Education Committee, and Outreach Committee of the IAR
- To deliver an outstanding, professional, courteous service experience to the congregants and community of IAR
Essential Job Functions
The Assistant to the Imam is responsible for supporting the Office of the Imam in execution of its duties including religious program & service design, interfacing with marketing, and communication; management of the Imams’ calendars, correspondence (voicemail, e-mail, regular mail, etc.), website and speaking engagements. The Assistant to the Imam’s Office will serve as the primary contact person for the Imam/Religious Director in particular, and Imam’s Office in general, on all matters requiring his attention.
These duties fall in three main areas. It is expected that the successful applicant will have broad experience or ability to be trained in multiple areas, while excelling in one or more of these areas. The Assistant to the Imam’s Office will work closely with IAR Imams to learn and execute his/her job responsibilities.
Program Planning & Execution
- Administrate the planning and design of worship services, including volunteer coordination, under direction of the Imam
- Administrate the planning and design of key Education and Outreach activities in coordination with the Imam and appropriate committee leads
- Assist in executing special assignments related to job duties as assigned
- Manage the Imam’s calendar, functioning as the primary contact person for meetings, speeches, marriage & funeral services, and other schedule commitments
- Manage all forms of correspondence including e-mail, voicemail, and regular mail, maintaining the strictest confidentiality and highest standards of Islamic ethics and character
- Serve as primary interface with relevant parties, including Marketing and IT teams, to manage development, printing, and distribution of marketing material such as flyers and social media posts
- Maintain Imam’s and religious information on the IAR website and contributions to social media including content updates, email processing, and other activities as directed
- Help foster effective congregation relationships and accessibility through relevant initiatives, logistical coordination, and follow-up
Required Skills and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent. Associate’s or bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Excellent command of the English language, including basic composition, grammar, and punctuation
- Strong computer skills, including use of the Internet, e-mail, calendar, word-processing, and spreadsheets
- Refined interpersonal skills and capacity to act as a liaison between the Imam and the public. Ability to handle complaints and problems with tact, patience, and diplomacy.
- Excellent Islamic character and trustworthiness, as evidenced through references and interview. Commitment to maintain confidentiality of private communications and sensitive information.
- Competence in operating standard office machines such as printer, copier, and scanner
- Internet and phone access for any approved hours worked telecommuting (by prior arrangement and advance approval)
- Discipline to adhere to IAR policies, procedures, and workflows and to work in a flexible, high-paced environment
- Demonstrated flexibility, good judgment and the ability to set priorities and respond to changes. A self-starter with the ability to work independently.
- Ability to be trained and acquire new skills
- Some weekend and evening hours may be required as services and meetings dictate
- Self starter — able to initiate quality work and help maintain punctual and consistent deliverables with minimal supervision
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Previous administrative, office, or service experience
- Advanced computer skills, such as proficiency in presentation, desktop publishing, video recording & editing, and graphic design.
- Arabic language proficiency
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation is commensurate with experience. The employee will be a non-exempt hourly employee. IAR Personnel policy governs work conditions and benefits. All staff members are on probation for the first 90 days and are reviewed annually.
To apply, send résumé and 3 references by email to: email@example.com with the job code of
IAR-ImamAssistant in the email subject line.
Applications are being accepted on a continuing basis until the position is filled. IAR is an equal opportunity employer.