Br. Ashraf Nubani, Executive Director, National Coalition to Protect Civil Freedoms will be presenting the 2nd shift Jummah Khutbah and the Friday Night Program, titled "Civil Freedoms: Know your Rights" between Maghrib and Isha prayers on May 13.
National Coalition to Protect Civil Freedoms aims to:
Educate the public about the erosion of civil and political freedoms in the society, and the abuses of prisoners within the U.S. criminal justice system especially after 9/11, and to advocate for the preservation of those freedoms and to defend those rights according to the U.S. Constitution, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and its related UN Conventions, and the Geneva Conventions.
The coalition specifically addresses a series of government abuses, such as:
* Thought crime prosecutions: NCPCF opposes the criminalization of First Amendment activities.
* Manufactured charges: NCPCF opposes preemptive prosecutions of "ideological" targets who were setup through plots manufactured by law enforcement agents or informants.
* Racial, religious and political profiling: NCPCF is fighting to restore civil rights and freedoms in the age of "Flying While Muslim."
* Inhuman treatment of prisoners: NCPCF seeks to affirm the U.S. Constitution and the International Declaration of Human Rights in opposing the government's use of Communication Management Units (CMUs) -- even before trial. CMUs are a form of isolation used disproportionately on Muslim prisoners which human rights advocates call cruel and unusual punishment and a form of psychological torture. The Holy Land Foundation defendants and Dr. Aafia Siddiqui are among the many victims of CMUs.
Organizations in the coalition include:
* American Muslim Alliance (AMA)
* Bill of Rights Defense Committee (BORDC)
* Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR)
* Creating Law Enforcement Accountability and Responsibility (CLEAR)
* Defending Dissent Foundation (DDF)
* Desis, Rising Up and Moving (DRUM)
* Friends of Human Rights (FHR)
* International Action Center (IAC)
* Islamic Circle of North America- Council on Social Justice (ICNA-CSJ)
* Muslim American Society-Freedom (MAS-F)
* Muslim Justice Initiative (MJI)
* Muslim Legal Fund of America (MLFA)
* National Lawyers Guild (NLG)
* National Liberty Fund (NLF)
* Peace Thru Justice Foundation (PTJF)
* Project Support and Legal Advocacy for Muslims (PSALAM)
* Universal Justice Foundation (UJF)